Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Recycling Bin Revolutions

In response to my last post about the wonderful recycling bins in Jerusalem: I have absolutely no idea who initiated this project. I tend to think it was the city, but who knows? Perhaps one of these days my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll call city hall to find out for sure.

All I know is that the bins used to all be green, and one morning I woke up and all the ones in my neighborhood had different paintings on them. And within a few weeks, every bin had a painting, at least in the neighborhoods near me.

A couple of things I should add:

1) I am not sure that all areas of Jerusalem have recycling bins at all. I have heard that recycling is something that was instituted in certain areas . . . whether because they are wealthier or because of the influence of North American immigrants, I'm not sure . . . I'd be interested in having readers from north Jerusalem or other Israeli cities leave comments letting us know whether you have a recycling program and, if so, what color the bins are!

**UPDATE**
Thanks to a tip from The Hedyot, here's a link to a Jerusalem Post article about the recycling-bin artwork. Yes, it is a municipal project. Kudos to the artists.

2) Not once have I seen a recycling bin that has been defaced. No graffiti. In New York these paintings would last for about 3 minutes before being ruined.

And now, on to my last (for now) batch of bin-spotting photos . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment