Thursday, August 04, 2005

"Using children to do the dirty work . . . "*

Pursuant to my post of yesterday (did I just use the word "pursuant" correctly?), Ha'aretz had an interesting series of reports about last night's march from Ofakim to Gaza, and its aftermath.

Money quote (did I just use that correctly?):

A senior Israel Defense Forces officer told Israel Radio on Thursday morning that the young pullout opponents attempting to enter Gaza illegally were endangering their lives.

An infiltration warning near Nisanit overnight put all IDF forces in the area on high alert. Troops were called to the scene and, just before they opened fire, it became clear the infiltrators were pullout opponents and not Palestinian gunmen.

Colonel Yossi Morali, commander of the IDF's northern Gaza brigade, told the radio he fears a disaster. He noted this was not the first incident of its kind. Morali said some of the infiltrators arrested in Nisanit overnight were 10- and 11-year-old children who did not understand what was going on. One of the children collapsed during the events.


I rest my case.

* I lifted that phrase from Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment