Friday, September 03, 2004

The blogger bash last night was terrific. At least 16 blogs were represented. For me, the most gratifying part of the experience was simply being in a place where a variety of people -- men and women, all ages, religious and secular, left-wing and right-wing -- were gathered in one place and being warm and welcoming to each other. I always love it when that happens, when people transcend their differences to have a good time. The atmosphere was as beautiful as the weather in the outdoor cafe where we met. Bloggers sure are a friendly bunch.

The other thing I enjoyed was the moment I looked around at the group and realized that most of the people look, well, ordinary. Meaning, they look just like the people I encounter every day walking down the street. And yet, I know for a fact how extraordinary they are, because I read about their opinions and experiences all the time. It got me thinking that when you're out in the world encountering people, each one of those people has a story. Each one of those ordinary people is extraordinary, it's just that you don't know how.

There's a saying in Hebrew that "every blade of grass has it's own song." I say: Every single person has their own blog, whether they are actually writing it or not.

**

Also: one of the bloggers introduced me to BookCrossing.com. She had a bunch of books she was giving away, and each had a sticker on it that said this:

Howdy! Hola! Bonjour! Guten Tag!
I'm a very special book. You see, I'm traveling around the world making new friends. I hope I've met another friend in you. Please go to www.BookCrossing.com and enter by BCID number (shown below). You'll discover where I've been and who has read me, and can let them know I'm safe here in your hands. Then . . . . READ and RELEASE me!


I took home her copy of Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy, which I've never read, believe it or not. And I checked out the site. There are all these books floating around with these stickers -- people leaving books in random places, hoping they'll be picked up by interested new caretakers for the books-- and you can check online to see who got your book and what they thought of it and where they left it afterward. What a cool concept! Uniting the world through foundling books!

No comments:

Post a Comment