Wednesday, May 24, 2006


This is my herb "garden." In the foreground: fresh rosemary for roasting with vegetables or baking with chicken. Mmmm. In the background, from left to right: basil for making pesto, mint for my tea, parsley, oregano, dill for my vegetable soups, cinnamon basil (basil with a touch of cinnamon scent- mmm!), and tarragon behind the window screen.

BTW, I asked my rabbi, and it turns out I have to take terumot and maasrot from the herbs when I use them, even though they are not technically planted in the ground itself. (If you don't know what that is, uh . . . try Googling it. Or maybe a nice commenter can explain it in English better than I could . . . ) How cool is that? I haven't done that since I made aliyah, since all the stores where I buy my fruits and vegetables have already taken care of it.

Anyone have ideas for what I can do with fresh oregano, basil that smells a little like cinnamon, or fresh tarragon? I have no idea . . . Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment