Sunday, May 22, 2005

Oh, how I love modern technology.

Particularly my new laptop.

Yes, folks, I am sitting in The Coffee Shop, at the corner of Rachel Imeinu and Emek Refaim Streets in the holy city of Jerusalem, getting work done and noshing on a yogurt-and-muesli mix which was served to me by another person. When I finish my meal, that person will take the dishes away and I will not have to worry about them. There is soft music playing and I can totally focus because I am not at home.

This may not seem like a big deal to most other people, but remember that I only got my laptop a few weeks ago, and the city just provided free wireless internet all up and down Emek Refaim street very, very recently. Imagine being a professional freelance writer who just got her first laptop computer. Imagine, also, being a writer who all of a sudden, for some unexplicable reason, cannot focus at all while at home. Now imagine all the wonderful cafes, restaurants, burger joints, pizzerias, and bakeries where I can now work instead. I am in writer heaven.

All you folks in America: you should come visit Israel! And when you do, just walk up and down Emek to find me. I'll buy you a Chocolatta and you can admire my new laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment