Monday, November 01, 2004

Doda love

A few nights ago I babysat my two nephews so my sister and brother-in-law could go out for dinner. I hung out with them, gave them junk food (a special privilege of being babysat in my sister's house), and cuddled in front of the TV. Then I helped them brush their teeth and put them to bed. I sang each of them our new special goodnight song, a little something I picked up at UYO:

How could anyone ever tell you- you were anything less than beautiful?
How could anyone ever tell you- you were less than whole?
How could anyone fail to notice that your loving is a miracle?

How deeply you're connected to my soul.

Since then I've sung it to them each night. I know they don't understand all the words, but they seem to understand the intent behind them. Nathan, who is four, gazes into my eyes while I sing to him, blinking in the half-light with a peaceful look on his face. Ilan, 6, wraps his arms around my neck and I sing into his ear. Then they kiss me and I tell them I love them, and they say "I love you too."

A couple nights ago, as I was closing his door behind me, Ilan said "Doda, you know what the best present is that you brought for us?"

I said "What's that, Ilani?"

He said, "You."

I'm going to miss these guys when I leave tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment