Friday, November 26, 2004

Blogging with one hand, and survey: corn, stuffing, or both?

As you may recall, before my next doctor appointment I'm supposed to spend 4 days not using my right hand. Argh! The whole reason the hand hurts is that I NEED it! I decided to start the 4 days now, since Thanksgiving is over so I don't have to worry about making turkey with one hand. Still, this is bad. Opening jars . . . cutting food . . . washing dishes . . . perfect environment to feel sorry for myself for being single and living alone. Though it's better than being single and having an obsessive-compulsive, hypocritical, selfish, conniving [w]itch for a roommate, that's for sure. (Not that I'm referring to anyone in particular, oh no.)

Anyhow, Thanksgiving was amazing. I'd bought a 16-pound (7.4-kilo) turkey, the smallest they had, and managed to find an acquaintace to buy half of it from me, since it only barely fit in my oven. So I made an 8-pound half-turkey with stuffing, roasted potatoes, hearty vegetable soup, cranberry sauce, corn on the cob, and an apple pie. Not bad for my first Thanksgiving, though I sweated buckets all day that the turkey would either burn or undercook (it was fine).

During the day, Amy S, my life-saving seminary cleaning girl, came over to dust, mop, etc (God, she's amazing. So thorough!) which gave me time for a special treat: lunch at Cafe Hillel with Ari S. and my dear friend Shimmy, who is visiting from the Old Country. It was like old times, when the 3 of worked together in NCSY. Go check out Shimmy's new organization serving Jewish teens.

My cousin Meir came for dinner with his lovely wife Suzi, sons Roni and Shauli, and Ron's beautiful and intelligent girlfriend, Shani. This was their first time at my place -- I usually go to see them in Petach Tikva-- and it was so nice to be with family on Thanksgiving. Being that they are Israeli, this was their first Thanksgiving, and they pointed out that I could have made chicken and hummus and said it was traditional, and they wouldn't have known the difference, but I'm happy I went the whole 9 yards. It was for myself, too.

Interestingly, they hardly touched the stuffing, which was GOOD stuffing, but finished off the corn, which I only made because it's Thanksgiving, so you have to have corn. Is that a cultural thing, or just them, or do Israelis make stuffing differently, or what? I'm not insulted, just confused. Tell me, would YOU choose corn on the cob and not touch the stuffing?

OK, that's enough for one day with one hand! Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment