Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Clarification (now with update)

I just got an email from a friend wondering if the previous post is an indication that I'm depressed.

The answer is definitely "no."

I feel great, actually. But I like that poem because it's a good poem. It's good at making me feel something I wasn't feeling before, or think about something in a way I hadn't thought about before. It's good at making me feel melancholy and a little bitter and frustrated - which is its job, I think.

But I could just as easily have picked a poem that makes me feel silly, because it's good at being silly.

It's about the wonder of words, that's it. At least, that's it today. Maybe tomorrow I'll pick something for content. Or maybe not.

Does that make sense to you?

***UPDATE***

OK, so the above post, while true, is not the whole truth. The whole truth is that "First Love" speaks to me because sometimes -- not right now, not lately, but sometimes -- I think about the men I've loved in the past, and I feel like this man who is narrating the poem. Especially when I know the guy is now happily married and settled and has great kids, etc. And I have a happy life, but it's not that life, and so I feel wistful. Sometimes. I wasn't feeling wistful, until I read the poem. The poem reminded me. So you see, it is an effective piece of writing.

OK, that's really it.

No comments:

Post a Comment