Monday, August 07, 2006

The Storm in my Head

There's no earthly way of knowing

Which direction they are going!
There's no knowing where they're rowing,
Or which way the river's flowing!
Not a speck of light is showing,
So the danger must be growing,
For the rowers keep on rowing,
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing . . . .

-- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I try not to blog just for the sake of blogging; when I write a post, I like it to be because I actually have something new, different, or important to say. The problem has been, the last few days:

a) there have been so very many important things about the war that deserve attention, I felt overwhelmed. And now you know why I don't have a staff job on a daily newspaper.

b) Events were moving so fast, that I didn't have time to compose my thoughts. I have had so many conflicting feelings and thoughts about this war in just a few days, and have changed my mind so many times about so many issues, that it was like having an emotional and intellectual hurricane in my head. I didn't want to write a post until the storm settled and I knew what I want to say.

Not there yet.

I can only urge you to keep reading Allison's blog, and follow her links.

However, I can share some personal news. Yet another new client! I'm going to be paid to read blogs, can you believe that? And then, you too can benefit from my obsessions with Israel and with blogging, as I'll be posting links to, and exerpts from, blogs that discuss "daily life" in Israel over here, your one-stop-shop for finding out what's actually going on in these here parts. Thanks, Israel21C, for the job. (And, note that I was recommending Allison's blog long before she gave me a job.)

Also, here is a link to a full report on my trip to Safed last week . . . .

Full disclosure: As I've mentioned before (I think), I have a new client, this new web-content management company, and one of their clients is Chabad-Lubavitch. It was for their site that I went to Safed last week, to research the humanitarian activities of Chabad there, and the lives of the Lubavitch-chassidic families who have stayed in town for one reason or another, despite the rocket attacks. My story has finally been published, and you can read the whole thing, and see some photos taken by moi, here.

More to come when when my mental tornadoes go away. Here's a hint about one aspect of the storm, though:

Said by Beth to me today: Sarah, you set yourself up for failure. Packaging food for soldiers can help things. Maybe blogging can change the mind of some college student somewhere who doesn't know anything about Israel. But taking on Human Rights Watch? Why do you bother?

Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment