Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Disengagement and Dim Sum . . .

. . . do not mix!

Since I don't have television service, my neighbor, Nechama, gave me the key to her apartment so I could watch disengagement news on her TV while she's out this evening. Then, Yael called and asked if I want to get together. We decided we'd watch the news at Nechama's place and order in dinner.

So tonight I had the surreal experience of noshing on wonton soup and garlic noodles while watching families being forcibly removed from their homes. Between the MSG and the miserable video, Yael and I are both feeling kinda sick right now.

The most surreal part, though, was when the Israeli news showed clips from Arab, American, and European news stations, showing how they were covering the disengagement. There I am, listening to Palestinian reporters say the same things in Arabic that the Israeli reporters had just said in Hebrew, while trying to negotiate the noodles with my chopsticks.

It's a strange world.

No comments:

Post a Comment