Sunday, August 21, 2005

Star Wars under the Stars

Last night, Yael took me to an outdoor concert-plus-showing-of-Episode III at the old train station in Jerusalem's Baka neighborhood. For 25 NIS (about $5.50), we got free popcorn, 4 or 5 songs by a pretty terrible "techno pop" group dressed (skimpily) in a combination of mid-80's Madonna and aluminum foil, and a chance to watch the Galactic Empire squash the Jedi like fruit flies.

[Yael, after the movie: WHAT?!? You'd already seen the movie TWICE? I thought you'd seen it ONCE.

Sarah: What, you thought I'd see a Star Wars movie only one time in the theater? Who do you think you are talking to?

Yael: Sarah, you are crazy.

Sarah: Well, I wasn't in the mood to see it a third time, to tell you the truth, but I'm glad we went. It was cool watching Star Wars under the stars. It almost felt like we were there.

What I didn't mention is that when Yael asked if I wanted to go, I said yes partly to make sure that she saw the film. It's part of my strategy for world domination I call "Star Wars kiruv."]

That techno-pop group, by the way, confirmed my theory that with the notable exception of Christina Aguilera (whose voice is truly an exceptional gift, if she'd only use it for good), the more flesh a singer shows the more likely it is that he or she needs to distract the audience from his or her singing abilities, or lack thereof. It also confirmed that I love love love techno/ pop rythms, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Oh, also, I got home late and proceeded to tool around on my computer for hours, until I realized at 3:55 that if I take a taxi, I can meet Sara for another 4 am trip to the Western Wall. So I did. Of course, that meant that I got home at 6:30 am, having not slept all night, and sadly slept away the day today, which means I won't sleep tonight . . . . I hate it when that happens!

Please say prayers for Elroi (pronounced El-roe-ee) Rafael ben Galya Glynnis, the 22-year-old Israeli army lieutenant who was seriously injured last week in a friendly-fire incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment