Thursday, August 26, 2004

Go, mom!

So, Getupgrrl posted this article today, which scared the bejeezus out of me. I was born in 1972 and my mother has always been kind of sickly. Just the type of person who would have been given DES to prevent a miscarriage. I think she's also the kind of person who would have told me if she'd taken DES before I was born . . . . I mean, I think so. Maybe not? So I called my mom and was like:

Me: So I read this article today that scared me . . . . did you by any chance take DES while you were pregnant with me?

Mom: No.

Me: Are you sure?

Mom: Yes, I'm sure.

Me: Did you take any other drugs? Any pregnancy vitamins?

Mom: No. I'd seen pictures of babies whose mothers had been given Thalidomide, and I swore I'd never take any drug of any kind while I was pregnant. Nothing.

Me [breathing a sigh of relief]: wheeeew . . . .

This is not to say that a woman should ignore the prescriptions given by a doctor, but it sure gives one pause. Buyer beware, that's all I can say.

And, go Chayyei Sarah's mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment