Sunday, January 30, 2005

Things My Shaliach Never Told Me: Lunch in Paradise

So, my sleep cycle is totally messed up. On Thursday night, I was up until 3 or 4 am, exchanging emails and phone calls with a copy editor in America. Then, Friday night I fell asleep at like 1 am, and then woke up at 5:15. It was dark outside and for a few minutes I didn't know whether it was 5:15 in the morning on Saturday before dawn, or 5:15 in the evening, and I'd slept through the entire Shabbat. Finally I got up and looked at the 24-hour timer on my water boiler, which said it was "5" and not "17," so I knew I hadn't kept my lunch hosts waiting. I went back to bed, woke up again at 11:45, and got to my noon lunch (a 20-minute walk from me) only half an hour late. Yeah, I'm doin' real well, here.

Anyhow, I had lunch at the home of Rachel and Esti (and Gila, who unfortunately was not there for Shabbat). I like these gals a whole lot. They are fun, frum, smart, and very "real." Good peoples!

When I left my apartment, I turned around to go back in and leave my jacket behind. It was HOT outside. I was wearing a suit and stockings and it was HOT outside. I got to Rachel and Esti's -- they live in a beautiful apartment from which one enjoys a gorgeous expansive view-- and the first thing Rachel said was "Good news! We are eating outside!"

So, while my friends in the USA were buried in snow, the three of us sat on the canopied porch, the sun shining warmly on us, and enjoyed cold soup, kabobs, chocolate-covered shortbread and other fine delicacies. They gave me a short-sleeved shirt to change into, and we all went barefoot because it was too hot to wear any clothes that weren't absolutely necessary. We just sat around talking and enjoying the sun and fresh, warm air.

Gorgeous view, good friends, and kabobs. Lunch outside in January, barefoot. Today was a good day to live here in PARADISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment